Projects per year
A research team working on integration of variable renewable energy into energy systems, energy sector integration and electrification of energy as well as decarbonisation of power and energy in general. We’re also in the forefront of creating open tools and data for energy research.
- Energy systems will be wind and solar power dominated.
- Deeper integration of power, heat, transport and industrial processes
- Continuing decarbonisation of the coupled sectors and the whole society
Our value proposition
- Support policy makers and officials on energy system design and security of supply issues.
- Assess the value of and need for flexibility in energy investments as part of a larger system and considering e.g. weather phenomena, technology development and market conditions.
- Increase the value of current and new energy assets with optimal operation strategies and analysis software.
- Develop open source decision support tools and open data for societies to find optimal ways to decarbonise energy generation and related sectors.
1/02/20 → 31/01/24
Project: EU project
Kiviluoma, J., Holttinen, H., Smith, J. C., Orths, A., Estanqueiro, A., Söder, L., Flynn, D., Vrana, T. K., Kenyon, R. W. & Kroposki, B., 1 Sep 2020, In: Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Energy and Environment. 9, 5, e376.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Review Article › peer-review
Koponen, P., Ikäheimo, J., Koskela, J., Brester, C. & Niska, H., 20 Apr 2020, In: Energies. 13, 8, 17 p., 2054.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › Scientific › peer-reviewOpen Access
Impact of operational details and temporal representations on investment planning in energy systems dominated by wind and solarHelistö, N., Kiviluoma, J., Morales-España, G. & O'Dwyer, C., 2020, (Submitted) In: Not yet accepted into a journal.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › ScientificFile