Mass, energy and material balances of SRF production process: Part 3: Solid recovered fuel produced from municipal solid waste

Muhammad Nasrullah, Pasi Vainikka, Janne Hannula, Markku Hurme, Janne Kärki

Research output: Contribution to journalArticleScientificpeer-review

16 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

This is the third and final part of the three-part article written to describe the mass, energy and material balances of the solid recovered fuel production process produced from various types of waste streams through mechanical treatment. This article focused the production of solid recovered fuel from municipal solid waste. The stream of municipal solid waste used here as an input waste material to produce solid recovered fuel is energy waste collected from households of municipality. This article presents the mass, energy and material balances of the solid recovered fuel production process. These balances are based on the proximate as well as the ultimate analysis and the composition determination of various streams of material produced in a solid recovered fuel production plant. All the process streams are sampled and treated according to CEN standard methods for solid recovered fuel. The results of the mass balance of the solid recovered fuel production process showed that 72% of the input waste material was recovered in the form of solid recovered fuel; 2.6% as ferrous metal, 0.4% as non-ferrous metal, 11% was sorted as rejects material, 12% as fine faction and 2% as heavy fraction. The energy balance of the solid recovered fuel production process showed that 86% of the total input energy content of input waste material was recovered in the form of solid recovered fuel. The remaining percentage (14%) of the input energy was split into the streams of reject material, fine fraction and heavy fraction. The material balances of this process showed that mass fraction of paper and cardboard, plastic (soft) and wood recovered in the solid recovered fuel stream was 88%, 85% and 90%, respectively, of their input mass. A high mass fraction of rubber material, plastic (PVC-plastic) and inert (stone/rock and glass particles) was found in the reject material stream.
Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)146-156
Number of pages11
JournalWaste Management and Research
Volume33
Issue number2
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - 1 Jan 2015
MoE publication typeA1 Journal article-refereed

Fingerprint

Municipal solid waste
Plastics
Nonferrous metals
Energy balance
Polyvinyl chlorides
Wood
Rubber
Rocks
Glass

Keywords

  • energy waste
  • material balances
  • mechanical treatment
  • municipal solid waste
  • solid recovered fuel

Cite this

Nasrullah, Muhammad ; Vainikka, Pasi ; Hannula, Janne ; Hurme, Markku ; Kärki, Janne. / Mass, energy and material balances of SRF production process : Part 3: Solid recovered fuel produced from municipal solid waste. In: Waste Management and Research. 2015 ; Vol. 33, No. 2. pp. 146-156.
@article{19d19840143b458689e93e5cbd8c1cf3,
title = "Mass, energy and material balances of SRF production process: Part 3: Solid recovered fuel produced from municipal solid waste",
abstract = "This is the third and final part of the three-part article written to describe the mass, energy and material balances of the solid recovered fuel production process produced from various types of waste streams through mechanical treatment. This article focused the production of solid recovered fuel from municipal solid waste. The stream of municipal solid waste used here as an input waste material to produce solid recovered fuel is energy waste collected from households of municipality. This article presents the mass, energy and material balances of the solid recovered fuel production process. These balances are based on the proximate as well as the ultimate analysis and the composition determination of various streams of material produced in a solid recovered fuel production plant. All the process streams are sampled and treated according to CEN standard methods for solid recovered fuel. The results of the mass balance of the solid recovered fuel production process showed that 72{\%} of the input waste material was recovered in the form of solid recovered fuel; 2.6{\%} as ferrous metal, 0.4{\%} as non-ferrous metal, 11{\%} was sorted as rejects material, 12{\%} as fine faction and 2{\%} as heavy fraction. The energy balance of the solid recovered fuel production process showed that 86{\%} of the total input energy content of input waste material was recovered in the form of solid recovered fuel. The remaining percentage (14{\%}) of the input energy was split into the streams of reject material, fine fraction and heavy fraction. The material balances of this process showed that mass fraction of paper and cardboard, plastic (soft) and wood recovered in the solid recovered fuel stream was 88{\%}, 85{\%} and 90{\%}, respectively, of their input mass. A high mass fraction of rubber material, plastic (PVC-plastic) and inert (stone/rock and glass particles) was found in the reject material stream.",
keywords = "energy waste, material balances, mechanical treatment, municipal solid waste, solid recovered fuel",
author = "Muhammad Nasrullah and Pasi Vainikka and Janne Hannula and Markku Hurme and Janne K{\"a}rki",
year = "2015",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1177/0734242X14563375",
language = "English",
volume = "33",
pages = "146--156",
journal = "Waste Management and Research",
issn = "0734-242X",
publisher = "SAGE Publications",
number = "2",

}

Mass, energy and material balances of SRF production process : Part 3: Solid recovered fuel produced from municipal solid waste. / Nasrullah, Muhammad; Vainikka, Pasi; Hannula, Janne; Hurme, Markku; Kärki, Janne.

In: Waste Management and Research, Vol. 33, No. 2, 01.01.2015, p. 146-156.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticleScientificpeer-review

TY - JOUR

T1 - Mass, energy and material balances of SRF production process

T2 - Part 3: Solid recovered fuel produced from municipal solid waste

AU - Nasrullah, Muhammad

AU - Vainikka, Pasi

AU - Hannula, Janne

AU - Hurme, Markku

AU - Kärki, Janne

PY - 2015/1/1

Y1 - 2015/1/1

N2 - This is the third and final part of the three-part article written to describe the mass, energy and material balances of the solid recovered fuel production process produced from various types of waste streams through mechanical treatment. This article focused the production of solid recovered fuel from municipal solid waste. The stream of municipal solid waste used here as an input waste material to produce solid recovered fuel is energy waste collected from households of municipality. This article presents the mass, energy and material balances of the solid recovered fuel production process. These balances are based on the proximate as well as the ultimate analysis and the composition determination of various streams of material produced in a solid recovered fuel production plant. All the process streams are sampled and treated according to CEN standard methods for solid recovered fuel. The results of the mass balance of the solid recovered fuel production process showed that 72% of the input waste material was recovered in the form of solid recovered fuel; 2.6% as ferrous metal, 0.4% as non-ferrous metal, 11% was sorted as rejects material, 12% as fine faction and 2% as heavy fraction. The energy balance of the solid recovered fuel production process showed that 86% of the total input energy content of input waste material was recovered in the form of solid recovered fuel. The remaining percentage (14%) of the input energy was split into the streams of reject material, fine fraction and heavy fraction. The material balances of this process showed that mass fraction of paper and cardboard, plastic (soft) and wood recovered in the solid recovered fuel stream was 88%, 85% and 90%, respectively, of their input mass. A high mass fraction of rubber material, plastic (PVC-plastic) and inert (stone/rock and glass particles) was found in the reject material stream.

AB - This is the third and final part of the three-part article written to describe the mass, energy and material balances of the solid recovered fuel production process produced from various types of waste streams through mechanical treatment. This article focused the production of solid recovered fuel from municipal solid waste. The stream of municipal solid waste used here as an input waste material to produce solid recovered fuel is energy waste collected from households of municipality. This article presents the mass, energy and material balances of the solid recovered fuel production process. These balances are based on the proximate as well as the ultimate analysis and the composition determination of various streams of material produced in a solid recovered fuel production plant. All the process streams are sampled and treated according to CEN standard methods for solid recovered fuel. The results of the mass balance of the solid recovered fuel production process showed that 72% of the input waste material was recovered in the form of solid recovered fuel; 2.6% as ferrous metal, 0.4% as non-ferrous metal, 11% was sorted as rejects material, 12% as fine faction and 2% as heavy fraction. The energy balance of the solid recovered fuel production process showed that 86% of the total input energy content of input waste material was recovered in the form of solid recovered fuel. The remaining percentage (14%) of the input energy was split into the streams of reject material, fine fraction and heavy fraction. The material balances of this process showed that mass fraction of paper and cardboard, plastic (soft) and wood recovered in the solid recovered fuel stream was 88%, 85% and 90%, respectively, of their input mass. A high mass fraction of rubber material, plastic (PVC-plastic) and inert (stone/rock and glass particles) was found in the reject material stream.

KW - energy waste

KW - material balances

KW - mechanical treatment

KW - municipal solid waste

KW - solid recovered fuel

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84922549223&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1177/0734242X14563375

DO - 10.1177/0734242X14563375

M3 - Article

C2 - 25568089

AN - SCOPUS:84922549223

VL - 33

SP - 146

EP - 156

JO - Waste Management and Research

JF - Waste Management and Research

SN - 0734-242X

IS - 2

ER -