Trust metrics based on a trusted network element

Jouni Hiltunen, Jarkko Kuusijärvi

    Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingConference article in proceedingsScientificpeer-review

    2 Citations (Scopus)

    Abstract

    In this paper we study and propose a trust model and trust metric composition models based on a trusted network element. Our proposed model, executed in a trusted network element, helps the user to make subjective decisions based on secure and trusted metric information presented in a userfriendly form. The composition models present two possible solutions of how to integrate trust constructs into quantitative measurements in order to provide readily available evidence to the trustor about trustee's trustworthiness. The results show how to achieve 5% measurement error probability when detecting malicious actions and what kinds of 95% intervals of confidence the 5% measurement error probability will enable in different trust metric composition models. The presented trust metric is specifically designed for client-server and peer-to-peer communication scenarios over the Internet, such as web browsing and/or content streaming.
    Original languageEnglish
    Title of host publicationTrustcom-BigDataSE-ISPA proceedings, Volume 1
    PublisherIEEE Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
    Pages660-667
    ISBN (Electronic)978-1-4673-7952-6, 978-1-4673-7951-9
    DOIs
    Publication statusPublished - 3 Dec 2015
    MoE publication typeA4 Article in a conference publication
    EventIEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications - Helsinki, Finland
    Duration: 20 Aug 201522 Aug 2015

    Conference

    ConferenceIEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications
    Abbreviated titleIEEETrustCom-15
    CountryFinland
    CityHelsinki
    Period20/08/1522/08/15

    Fingerprint

    Measurement errors
    Chemical analysis
    Servers
    Internet
    Communication
    Error probability

    Keywords

    • trust model
    • trust metric
    • trusted network element
    • security metric
    • security measurement

    Cite this

    Hiltunen, J., & Kuusijärvi, J. (2015). Trust metrics based on a trusted network element. In Trustcom-BigDataSE-ISPA proceedings, Volume 1 (pp. 660-667). IEEE Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers . https://doi.org/10.1109/Trustcom.2015.432
    Hiltunen, Jouni ; Kuusijärvi, Jarkko. / Trust metrics based on a trusted network element. Trustcom-BigDataSE-ISPA proceedings, Volume 1. IEEE Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers , 2015. pp. 660-667
    @inproceedings{573a8f321f864815887b0df314ce4629,
    title = "Trust metrics based on a trusted network element",
    abstract = "In this paper we study and propose a trust model and trust metric composition models based on a trusted network element. Our proposed model, executed in a trusted network element, helps the user to make subjective decisions based on secure and trusted metric information presented in a userfriendly form. The composition models present two possible solutions of how to integrate trust constructs into quantitative measurements in order to provide readily available evidence to the trustor about trustee's trustworthiness. The results show how to achieve 5{\%} measurement error probability when detecting malicious actions and what kinds of 95{\%} intervals of confidence the 5{\%} measurement error probability will enable in different trust metric composition models. The presented trust metric is specifically designed for client-server and peer-to-peer communication scenarios over the Internet, such as web browsing and/or content streaming.",
    keywords = "trust model, trust metric, trusted network element, security metric, security measurement",
    author = "Jouni Hiltunen and Jarkko Kuusij{\"a}rvi",
    note = "Project : 101027",
    year = "2015",
    month = "12",
    day = "3",
    doi = "10.1109/Trustcom.2015.432",
    language = "English",
    pages = "660--667",
    booktitle = "Trustcom-BigDataSE-ISPA proceedings, Volume 1",
    publisher = "IEEE Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers",
    address = "United States",

    }

    Hiltunen, J & Kuusijärvi, J 2015, Trust metrics based on a trusted network element. in Trustcom-BigDataSE-ISPA proceedings, Volume 1. IEEE Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers , pp. 660-667, IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications, Helsinki, Finland, 20/08/15. https://doi.org/10.1109/Trustcom.2015.432

    Trust metrics based on a trusted network element. / Hiltunen, Jouni; Kuusijärvi, Jarkko.

    Trustcom-BigDataSE-ISPA proceedings, Volume 1. IEEE Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers , 2015. p. 660-667.

    Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingConference article in proceedingsScientificpeer-review

    TY - GEN

    T1 - Trust metrics based on a trusted network element

    AU - Hiltunen, Jouni

    AU - Kuusijärvi, Jarkko

    N1 - Project : 101027

    PY - 2015/12/3

    Y1 - 2015/12/3

    N2 - In this paper we study and propose a trust model and trust metric composition models based on a trusted network element. Our proposed model, executed in a trusted network element, helps the user to make subjective decisions based on secure and trusted metric information presented in a userfriendly form. The composition models present two possible solutions of how to integrate trust constructs into quantitative measurements in order to provide readily available evidence to the trustor about trustee's trustworthiness. The results show how to achieve 5% measurement error probability when detecting malicious actions and what kinds of 95% intervals of confidence the 5% measurement error probability will enable in different trust metric composition models. The presented trust metric is specifically designed for client-server and peer-to-peer communication scenarios over the Internet, such as web browsing and/or content streaming.

    AB - In this paper we study and propose a trust model and trust metric composition models based on a trusted network element. Our proposed model, executed in a trusted network element, helps the user to make subjective decisions based on secure and trusted metric information presented in a userfriendly form. The composition models present two possible solutions of how to integrate trust constructs into quantitative measurements in order to provide readily available evidence to the trustor about trustee's trustworthiness. The results show how to achieve 5% measurement error probability when detecting malicious actions and what kinds of 95% intervals of confidence the 5% measurement error probability will enable in different trust metric composition models. The presented trust metric is specifically designed for client-server and peer-to-peer communication scenarios over the Internet, such as web browsing and/or content streaming.

    KW - trust model

    KW - trust metric

    KW - trusted network element

    KW - security metric

    KW - security measurement

    U2 - 10.1109/Trustcom.2015.432

    DO - 10.1109/Trustcom.2015.432

    M3 - Conference article in proceedings

    SP - 660

    EP - 667

    BT - Trustcom-BigDataSE-ISPA proceedings, Volume 1

    PB - IEEE Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers

    ER -

    Hiltunen J, Kuusijärvi J. Trust metrics based on a trusted network element. In Trustcom-BigDataSE-ISPA proceedings, Volume 1. IEEE Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers . 2015. p. 660-667 https://doi.org/10.1109/Trustcom.2015.432